Wednesday, November 16, 2011

postheadericon Smoking Brakes








No matter how reliable your vehicle is it important to know the limits of your brake system. This will not only keep you safe, but also save you from making extra trips to your favorite Utah brake repair company.  It is especially important to keep your brakes from overheating.

As a vehicle is traveling down the road it has kinetic energy, or traveling or moving energy.  Energy can never be destroyed but can be changed.  The brake system will transform the kinetic energy into heat energy.  When the brake system heats up a lot of undesirable effects can result.  You need to be aware of these because some of them can cause some real damage to your vehicle.

One summer I was headed to a company dinner at a fancy resort that was on the other side of the mountain from my home.  As I was driving down the mountain I was going faster than what I would normally do and had to use the brake a lot.  When I was about ¾ of the way down my left front brake started making a pretty bad vibration/knocking sound.

Smoking Brakes

I wanted to check my brakes to see if it was safe to continue down the mountain.  I pulled over and took off the tire.  What I didn't realize was that the brakes had a tremendous amount of heat in them, and so did everything else around them.  As I unscrewed the lug nuts I stretched the threads of the first few without even realizing it and then I started breaking the other studs off.

A full size van pulling a heavy trailer was parked in front of me.  Their brakes got so hot that they actually caught on fire.  They were lucky and it was a miracle they were able to stop.   I'm sure some Utah brake repair company made a pretty profit on that one as they most likely needed a swap of every brake component.

The next time you are hurrying down the mountain and you smell the brakes as they are getting overheated, slow down a bit.  It is best to use your engine to help slow you down and use your brakes only when they are needed.  Use moderate braking instead of riding the brakes in order to give them time to cool down otherwise they will constantly be building up heat.

Another undesirable side effect of too much heat is brake fade and warping.  With brake fade your braking system components are not able to grab as well as they did when they were cooler.  Also your brake fluid will boil when it gets hot enough, which is why you want to keep your brake fluid nice and clean as contaminants will lower that boiling point.

When your brake system gets hot you can also start to warp some of the components.  When then happens you will usually feel a vibration or a shudder.  Keep your brakes cool and you won't have to make quite so many trips to your local Utah brake repair company.

Related : Tissot T027.417.37.201.00 Invicta Men's 9212 Ball Pein Hammer i love watches Apple Zaa...

0 comments:

Labels

Powered by Blogger.



HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net

About Me